Install the Building Block
1. In order to set up the new Blackboard integration, the BasicLTI Building Block must be downloaded.
2. Now, the Building Block must then be installed on Blackboard by navigating to Building Blocks > Installed Tools > Upload Building Blocks.
3. Just upload the file downloaded in Step 1 by clicking Browse and click Submit.
Setup the Tool
Instead of going through the many tedious steps of setting up the Blackboard integration, you can now use the Quick Configuration.
Paste the XML information into the New Tool page through System Admin -> Basic LTI Tools -> Register New Tool. Be sure to use the XML Configuration tab shown below. If your Launch URL does not work, you can paste in the appropriate XML.
Setup the Domain
System Admin -> Basic LTI Tools -> Domains -> Register New Domain
Be sure to use the XML Configuration tab shown below. If your Launch URL does not work, you can paste in the appropriate XML.
Next, copy the following information from Ensemble Video and paste into the configuration page for the Domain. System Admin -> Basic LTI Tools -> Domains -> Edit Registration
- Consumer Key
- Shared Secret
Approve the Domain, select Approve from the dropdown for the domain.
Enable the Outcomes Service in Services
System Admin -> Basic LTI Tools -> Services
Enable the Outcomes Service in System Settings
System Admin -> Basic LTI Tools -> System Settings
Enable the Tool for your Users
Turn Mashup On so it is available in all courses.
System Admin -> Course Settings -> Course tools
4. After the building block is set up, find it under your list of Installed Tools. Hovering over it will show a gray arrow next to it. Click it, then select Settings.
5. This page lists all tools currently set up. Here, click on Register New Tool at the top.
6. Before getting started with the next step, make sure you have an LTI configuration for Blackboard on Ensemble Video. If not, make one now. You will need this information to configure the integration.
7. First, add a name for the tool you're adding. Ensemble Video Chooser is a great descriptive choice. Here, we went with Ensemble Video Chooser 5.0.
8. Next, copy the following information from Ensemble Video.
- Launch URL
- Consumer Key
- Shared Secret
The Signature Method should be HMAC_SHA1 with no Encryption Method.
9. Check the box next to Content-item Message.
10. No Registered LTI Services need to be checked.
11. Copy the URL to the Icon Image (50px) provided in the LTI Configuration on Ensemble Video. You do not need a CSS file or Disabled icon file, and Emulate core LTI should be unchecked. When finished, press Submit.
12. You will now see your tool in the list of tools. Now, you must change settings to have the tool set up properly. The box at the left must be checked for the tool for every change.
- Click on the Status button and select Enable.
- Click on the Content menu Button and select Build Content: Mashups.
- Click on the Mashup button and select Add as mashup option.
13. While hovering over the tool, click on the gray arrow button and select Edit Launch Settings. This will open a new window. Select New Window from the drop-down box and then hit Submit.
13. Your tool should now match the image below.
14. Next, you must add the domains from which this tool will be used. Click on Domains in the right hand corner.
15. On this page, select Register New Domain.
16. Here, paste your Domain Name (URL for Ensemble Video), and then copy over your Consumer Key and Shared Secret from the LTI configuration page on Ensemble Video. Signature Method should be HMAC_SHA1, and there should be no encryption method.
17. Copy the icon URL from Ensemble Video again, and then press Submit.
18. Your domain will then show up in the list, but some steps need to be taken to have it work properly. The check box for the domain must be selected for every change.
- Click on the Status button, then select Approve.
- Hover over the domain, then click on the gray arrow next to it and select Edit Launch Settings. On the new page, select New Window from the drop-down box then press Submit.
19. Your domain setup should now look like the image below.
With these steps completed, the Blackboard Integration of the Ensemble Video Chooser is now available to use.
Note: To ensure that the tool will work correctly, make sure to check everything in the following in list if it is not working properly.
- In System Admin -> Basic LTI tools -> Services, "Outcomes" needs to be enabled
- In System Admin -> Basic LTI tools -> System Settings -> Extension Services, "Outcomes" needs to be checked
- In System Admin -> Basic LTI tools -> Domains, in "Edit registration" for the appropriate domain, under "Extension Services", "Outcomes" needs to be set to "Required by tool"
- In System Admin -> Basic LTI tools -> Domains, in "Edit data settings" for the appropriate domain, under "Personal Data":
- "User ID" should be set to "Required by tool"
- "Sourcedid" should be checked
- "User name" should be set to "Required by tool"
- "Email" should be set to "Required by tool"